IP Scanners.....

International Issues.

IP Scanners.....

Postby MADNOTBAD » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:05 pm

My husband has had an IP scanner for a few years but after a year of fallouts and sabbateurs on his Angling Forum, he has been asked to take over as Moderator.

He has been asked to use his scanner so he can see IP address's to catch out those who post In different user names and to see If those who have been banned are logging on as guests. His scanner can even give him a location of an IP address on any forum.

Is this a good thing? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
MADNOTBAD

Re: IP Scanners.....

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:17 am

MADNOTBAD wrote:My husband has had an IP scanner for a few years but after a year of fallouts and sabbateurs on his Angling Forum, he has been asked to take over as Moderator.

He has been asked to use his scanner so he can see IP address's to catch out those who post In different user names and to see If those who have been banned are logging on as guests. His scanner can even give him a location of an IP address on any forum.

IP sniffing to monitor traffic on your network probably isn't a bad thing. Where it gets kind of murky is if you're using the technology to see what users are doing. IP sniffing can be used to capture information going over your network, and some users might not want that information captured.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby MADNOTBAD » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:47 pm

Brian wrote:
MADNOTBAD wrote:My husband has had an IP scanner for a few years but after a year of fallouts and sabbateurs on his Angling Forum, he has been asked to take over as Moderator.

IP sniffing to monitor traffic on your network probably isn't a bad thing. Where it gets kind of murky is if you're using the technology to see what users are doing. IP sniffing can be used to capture information going over your network, and some users might not want that information captured.
I agree..... I am In favour of being able to see If banned members are re-registering using different user names because some real trouble makers were only there to cause trouble but yes, It gets a bit murky when you can see everything a member Is doing. It may also be a bonus to see the IP addy of the member logged on and moniter who Is watching what what thread but I think beyond that, Is wrong.
MADNOTBAD

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:54 pm

MADNOTBAD wrote:
Brian wrote:

I agree..... I am In favour of being able to see If banned members are re-registering using different user names because some real trouble makers were only there to cause trouble but yes, It gets a bit murky when you can see everything a member Is doing. It may also be a bonus to see the IP addy of the member logged on and moniter who Is watching what what thread but I think beyond that, Is wrong.

phpbb (which this board uses) is able to ban by username or IP. The software on the board your husband's watching doesn't have the same ability?
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby MADNOTBAD » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Brian wrote:
MADNOTBAD wrote:
Brian wrote:

phpbb (which this board uses) is able to ban by username or IP. The software on the board your husband's watching doesn't have the same ability?
Yes, he now has the ability to ban by user name or IP addy.

You just would not think that such rage could exist on an Angling forum would You? :uzi: But they are worse than bitching women :roll:
MADNOTBAD

Postby sledge » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:03 pm

These days users can use VPN(Virtual Private Network) which hides your real ip and you can surf and download using a fake one. I know some of my friends at a Bit Torrent Community Forum use that. I used a Hide IP software but it caused problems at various sites that the site would not load properly or I couldn't post anything.

The only good using IP Scanners is to trace spammers and cyber crims but most cover their tracks well. I wouldn't use that on forums unless no choice.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby MADNOTBAD » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:05 am

The one's that crack me up Sledge are the one's who have multiple accounts In different user names on the same forum. When they get caught out by moderators that all user names are the same IP address, they then they Insist that they either share the house or work together. What Saddo's ??? Especially when they make a post, log off, log on In one of the other user names and then post backing themselves up :rofl2: Pathetic !!!! :rofl2: :rofl2: :bootyshake: :bootyshake:
MADNOTBAD

Postby sledge » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Yep it does Happen Mad that's why you need a good admin/mod team at any forum as I have seen some forums i have been a member at turn into a crud forum because of spammers etc. I ran my own forum for awhile but it was an uphill battle of constantly removing them so I quit. I still run a soundtrack Group on yahoo had the same problem but easily to manage it there than on a phpBB forum. It is best to keep an forum active with good posts once activity stops the spmmers move in and hijack it.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby MADNOTBAD » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:20 am

sledge wrote:Yep it does Happen Mad that's why you need a good admin/mod team at any forum as I have seen some forums i have been a member at turn into a crud forum because of spammers etc. I ran my own forum for awhile but it was an uphill battle of constantly removing them so I quit. I still run a soundtrack Group on yahoo had the same problem but easily to manage it there than on a phpBB forum. It is best to keep an forum active with good posts once activity stops the spmmers move in and hijack it.

I am fairly new to forums... about two years but I never believed what goes on In them. What planet Is some-one on to register different user names and then post to back up their own post because they are so unpopular on the forum? That Is sad !!!!
There has been a mass exodus on another forum I used and we have all joined a brand new one. It's owned by some of the old members of that forum and Is personal Invitation only. Until they register, they can not even read threads or posts... If they do register, the owners have the IP address's of the trouble makers and they would be unable to register or log In.... I like that. They can do It with the regular spammers also.
MADNOTBAD

Return to Mad's British View