So who will win the Gold Cup?

International Issues.

Re: So who will win the Gold Cup?

Postby MADNOTBAD » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:23 pm

First of all..... I was so thrilled to see another of my big favourites make racing history by becoming the first horse to win 3 consequetive Ladbrooke's World Hurdles.

Big Bucks trained by my favourite trainer Paul Nicholls did not dissapoint.

There was much talk about the young pretender Grand Crus taking his crown after he destroyed the field In the Cheltenham trials a couple of months ago but my own humble opinion was that Big Bucks being a verteran to the Cheltenham course would have him on the run In. Big Bucks Is well used to the steep hill to the line after the last fence and I believed Grand Crus would be neck and neck with Big Bucks at the last but would fade on the run In up the hill. It went as I thought and my forecast compensated for my losing streak on tuesday.

BIG BUCKS ON THE RUN FOR THE LINE WITH THE GREY, GRAND CRUS BEHIND HIM.... RUBY WALSH IN THE SADDLE :woo:
Attachments
Julie's pictures.jpg
Julie's pictures.jpg (20.7 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
MADNOTBAD

Postby MADNOTBAD » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:40 pm

The Gold Cup had to be the most exciting I have ever seen and all the expert racing pundits are saying the same.

I did not rate Long Run's chances and only believed he won the King George due to Kauto's Infection at the time.

I was getting very excited the day before as the ground continued to dry out giving the course a hard, fast going. With this, I knew Imperial Commander was doomed from the start and the bookie's seemed well aware also, with his odds drifting out on the day but shortening the odds for Kauto Star who favours this kind of hard fast pace. Sure enough, Imperial Commander was pulled up after getting sore on the hard ground.

Up to the last 2 fences, we all believed that either Kauts or Denman had It as they were neck and neck at one stage. But... I can take nothing away from Long Run, the winner who destroyed the pair of them In the last. Long Run became the youngest horse to win the Gold Cup In 30 years and at just 6 years old compared to Kauts and Denman's 11 years old, the younger legs up the hill on the run In were the better by far on the day.
I was also thrilled to see amateur Jockey Sam Walley Cohen become the first amateur Jockey to win the Gold Cup also on his Dad's horse.

But... at 11 years old.... Denman 2nd and Kauts 3rd still are the reigning champs of Cheltenham and either of them lost no respect for a gruelling race that shut the mouths of those who doubted them.

The highlight was seeing Denman pre-race scarred from his road accident.... Nothing can keep this horse down... Heart murmers, near fatal falls, road accidents, he keeps coming back for more and maybe that's why he Is known In racing circles as 'The Tank'.

Despite Long Run's victory, the crowds were there for Kauts and Denman and I even saw babies wearing Kauto's colours with scarves and hats.

THE LAST FENCE... LONG RUN OUT JUMPS DENMAN AND KAUTO
Attachments
julie's pictures 26.jpg
julie's pictures 26.jpg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
MADNOTBAD

Postby MADNOTBAD » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Kauto Star and Jockey Ruby Walsh In the paddock
Attachments
julie pictures 98.jpg
julie pictures 98.jpg (7.02 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
MADNOTBAD

Postby 23hourfruitcake » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 pm

MADNOTBAD wrote:Kauto Star and Jockey Ruby Walsh In the paddock

You were very close to Kauto there Mad.

I saw your racing tips on the other forum and took your advice doing a reversed forecast on Big Bucks and Grand Crus so thanks for that !

Looking at your tips, you has a lot of seconds there including Denman who i also took your advice on and had an each way bet.

Have you heard the news on Tricky Trickster Mad? How upsetting that must have been for you. :sorry:
23hourfruitcake

Postby MADNOTBAD » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:13 pm

23hourfruitcake wrote:
MADNOTBAD wrote:Kauto Star and Jockey Ruby Walsh In the paddock

You were very close to Kauto there Mad.

I saw your racing tips on the other forum and took your advice doing a reversed forecast on Big Bucks and Grand Crus so thanks for that !

Looking at your tips, you has a lot of seconds there including Denman who i also took your advice on and had an each way bet.

Have you heard the news on Tricky Trickster Mad? How upsetting that must have been for you. :sorry:
I didn't get my newspaper until late In the day that day and turning to the racing pages, was really annoyed to see that Tricky trickster was running at Uttoxeter and I had missed the race. I remember thinking that i was going to be really pissed off with that horse If I checked the results when I got home and he had won.
I went on line late that night to get the results and was horrified to see he had fallen at the 2nd and broke his neck.
I have been glued to Paul Nicholls twitter for up-dates every day since.
So glad I didn't see the race as apparently poor Trickster lay stricken on the ground and couldn't get up. Things have advanced much with Injured horses over the years and I am sure that years ago, he would just have been shot there and then. He Is getting the very best of treatment and Is slowly Improving which is the Important thing but I doubt he can ever race again.
He was one of my favourites and I first fell In love with him In the paddock at the 2009 Cheltenham Festival and he won the 2009 National Hunt Chase. he had such promise and was due to run the Grand National In April. Such a young horse as well at just 8 years old, he had an Impressive record already.
MADNOTBAD

Postby MADNOTBAD » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:51 pm

What an exciting line up for Easter?

Denman and Big Bucks head down to Aintree while Kauto Star heads to Ireland.

Denman Is running thursday In The Totesport Bowl against Long Run, winner of the Gold Cup..... Come on Denny Boy.... revenge Is sweet.
Have to say that I am not a fan of Aintree. Such a gruelling course and It was at Aintree two years ago where Denman suffered the only fall of his racing career.... a fall that very nearly cost him his life. I do fear for their safety at Aintree. Fingers crossed...and all going well... we hope to be their on the day.

Kauto heads out to Punchestown, Ireland for the Guiness Gold Cup.

The Grand National Is saturday.... as with any Grand National, 40 horses over 4 miles means It's anyone's. The greatest of champions can be brought down If boxed In at the fences.

This year I am going for 'What A Friend'.... owned by Sir Alex Ferguson..... providing trainer Paul Nicholls blinkers him this time... otherwise he gets too distracted by other horses.
MADNOTBAD

Postby 23hourfruitcake » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:52 pm

I saw your tips on the other forum for Aintree Mad and you must be jumping for joy right now.

I see two of your favourites, Big Bucks and Master Minded romped home to win easily. What a turn up that behind Big Bucks In second was Grand Crus, the exact forecast you gave and the same forecast as in the world hurdle at Cheltenham.
Shame about Denman, your Denny Boy but then he did race very soon after the gold cup, maybe too soon for Aintree.

I see you have Don't push it or What a friend for the Grand National tomorrow. It will be an interesting one this year.
23hourfruitcake

Postby MADNOTBAD » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:50 pm

23hourfruitcake wrote:I saw your tips on the other forum for Aintree Mad and you must be jumping for joy right now.

I see two of your favourites, Big Bucks and Master Minded romped home to win easily. What a turn up that behind Big Bucks In second was Grand Crus, the exact forecast you gave and the same forecast as in the world hurdle at Cheltenham.
Shame about Denman, your Denny Boy but then he did race very soon after the gold cup, maybe too soon for Aintree.

I see you have Don't push it or What a friend for the Grand National tomorrow. It will be an interesting one this year.

Yep, Big Bucks and Master Minded did for me again :woo: So pleased to see Master Minded back to his usual devastating form after the wrong footing at Cheltenham.

I am quite chuffed with myself re The Grand National..... As we all know, even the most brilliant of hurdlers can be brought down due to overcrowding of 40 horses at the fences but I had 4 bets on the National and although I didn't have the winner, all of mine finished.
On the day I went with What A Friend, Don't Push It, Oscar Time and Character Building. Character Building Is one of my favourite chasers but I was slightly put off that Nina Carberry was riding him and she let me down on Garde Champetre 3 weeks ago.
Oscar Time was 2nd, Don't push It 3rd and What A Friend 4th.... Character Buildings run was very unfortunate... He Is a huge brusier of a horse, about 18 hands and was badly boxed In and hampered by loose horses throughout. Nina Carberry just could not get him out of trouble or switch to the outside but he finished...
MADNOTBAD

Postby 23hourfruitcake » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:49 am

THANKS MAD :woo:

SAW YOUR TIP FOR THE SCOTTISH GRAND NATIONAL, BESHABAR ON THE OTHER FORUM WHO HAS JUST WON AND I TOOK YOUR ADVICE AND HAD A FIVER EACH WAY.
:woo:
23hourfruitcake

Postby MADNOTBAD » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:29 am

23hourfruitcake wrote:THANKS MAD :woo:

SAW YOUR TIP FOR THE SCOTTISH GRAND NATIONAL, BESHABAR ON THE OTHER FORUM WHO HAS JUST WON AND I TOOK YOUR ADVICE AND HAD A FIVER EACH WAY.
:woo:

Well, I could bloody well kick myself.

Beshabar finished behind Chicago Grey three weeks ago but this time round, Beshabar was carrying 5lb lighter and I thought It would give him the edge but Instead of doing a win bet on Beshabar, I went with a r/v f/c on the two. I was right about Beshabar, the lighter weight gave him the edge to win but Chicago Grey was hampered throughout and then unfooted half way round leaving me with a losing bet.

Now.... all eyes on Kauto star at Punchestown on the 4th May. He's 5/4 favourite and I don't see any real threats to him In the Guiness Gold Cup... Maybe Neptunes Collonges or Nacaret but Neptunes ran a shocking race saturday and Nacaret will lead all the way but fade In the last two fences. Kauto has had him In the King George at around the third last fence before.... Should be an easy win for Kauts and another Gold Cup for his belt.
MADNOTBAD

Previous

Return to Mad's British View