1. Classic Sci-Fi TV - Space 1999

Sci-Fi news & discussions.

Moderator: sledge

1. Classic Sci-Fi TV - Space 1999

Postby sledge » Wed May 12, 2010 5:38 am

Did anyone ever see 'Space 1999' a 70's Sci-Fi TV Series made by Gerry & Sylvia Anderson it ran from 1973 to 1975. I grew up watching this Series in Syndication in the 1980's which still pops up in late Night TV schedules.

What is it about?
Live action drama from Gerry Anderson and his wife Sylvia Anderson which ran for two seasons in the 1970s. The origins of Space 199 can be traced back to the aborted second season of UFO which would have concentrated much more on the “Moon Base” which featured within the series due to their popularity with fans. When UFO was cancelled the Anderson’s reworked their ideas and Space 1999 was born. The series revolved around the inhabitants of Moon Base Alpha who are flung into deep space following a nuclear explosion. Leading stars included American Marin Landau and Barbara Bain who were cast at Lew Grade’s instance in the hope of appealing to US audiences.

The series was filmed at the Pinewood studios and took a lot of visual inspiration from Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: Space Odyssey. Broadcast began in 1975 even though production began in 1973 but the series was not networked in the UK or America meaning it aired at different time on local broadcasters. A second series was commissioned but underwent a revamp with more action orientated episodes and several cast members axed. Joining the cast of the second series were Catherine Von Schell and Tony Anholt. A third series was planned and possibly a spin-off series focusing on the character of Maya, played by Catherine Von Schell. However due to the sporadic nature of the episodes broadcasting ratings fell and Space 1999 and the proposed spin-off were cancelled.

http://www.atvnewsnetwork.co.uk/today/i ... son-series

There has been discussion on the net about making a remake but calling it 2099 instead of 1999.

Watch The Original TV Intro

Noe Watch the Space 2099(Fan Made Trailer)
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Re: 1. Classic Sci-Fi TV - Space 1999

Postby Wolverine » Tue May 18, 2010 11:19 pm

do you remember the mid-90s FOX show, "Space: Above and Beyond"? i really dug that show.
Attachments
spaceTV1.jpg
spaceTV1.jpg (38.94 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
nothing says "I LOVE YOU" like sex in the morning.
Wolverine

Re: 1. Classic Sci-Fi TV - Space 1999

Postby sledge » Wed May 19, 2010 8:02 am

Wolverine wrote:do you remember the mid-90s FOX show, "Space: Above and Beyond"? i really dug that show.

Yes I remember that show but this thread is for Space 1999 related posts. Your most welcome to start a new thread for 'Space : Above and Beyond' . :hello:
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Return to Sledge's Sci-Fi Paradise