[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
24hourforums.com • View topic - Mad Is hopping Mad and a lesson to all...

Mad Is hopping Mad and a lesson to all...

Fixing & enjoying cars, trucks, & more.

Moderator: shimmy

Mad Is hopping Mad and a lesson to all...

Postby MADNOTBAD » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:37 pm

A garage In Bradford on Avon England has until tomorrow to return my car that will pass the scrutiny of an RAC test or I will name them on this site.

We were recommended a garage to fit a new clutch on our Ford Focus Estate. The car has a brand new M.O.T. certificate from only 3 weeks ago where the wheel bearings and Universal joints were checked.

Like Idiots, we didn't go to our regular guy In Iron Acton and thought we'd give this new garage the work based on good recco's from Pete's fishing pal..... To our cost.

The clutch was fitted and Peter collected It noticing strange clunking noises on the way home. The very next day, his boss was In a real spot as his wife was stranded at Akea In Bristol City Centre unable to get a cab home. Luckily my husband does not drive at 60 everywhere but he went down the Motorway, filled up the car with the bosses children and drove them back up the motorway In rush hour. He realised some-thing was seriousley wrong so kept his speed down and got It straight over to his regualar guy the next morning who told him he was amazed he'd even got there and was not wrapped around a tree some-where. He got It up on the ramp and saw what was wrong. He phoned the garage In Bradford On Avon and the mechanic and owner admited that he had changed the clutch but had handed the car to a Junior to finish off.... who hadn't. The moment that car was driven, the Universal joints were damaged beyond repair and the wheel bearings became so loose, the car was In danger of having the wheels come off at any time. The guy admitted that he didn't check the car or sign It off after the Junior was supposed to have finished the nuts and bolts of the car.
Our regular guy told my husband that the car was so dangerous he would refuse my husband to remove It from his garage.
On the phone, the regular guy and the bodge mechanic agreed that the car would stay there for the night and he would collect It from Iron Acton at 9 am the next morning and give It priority. That was Friday and He has only just picked It up. It's now Monday.
We made several calls over the weekend and I sent an e mail asking where the hell our car was and what was happening and they couldn't even give us a curtesy call to tell us what they were doing. Their entire attitude Is one of apathy dispite when I spoke to my local Police Officer, he said the owner would have certainly be looking at a manslaughter charge If those wheels had come off on the motorway. That garage took a car with a brand new M.O.T and handed my husband back a death trap.
We contacted Trading Standards this morning who told us he Is In breach and asked If we wanted to take It further..... the moral of this story Is... STICK WITH WHAT AND WHO YOU KNOW.
MADNOTBAD

Re: Mad Is hopping Mad and a lesson to all...

Postby Librtyhead » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:15 pm

I lost my normal guy I was using 2 yrs ago and still cannot find a new mechanic I trust. So I end up doing most myself. I hate clutches though. On a new car it is a big fat PITA.
Librtyhead

Postby shimmy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:33 pm

shimmy
Global Moderator

Garages from Hell....

Postby MADNOTBAD » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Without Predjudice and In accordance with The Freedom of Speech Act Amendment 1982 England..

TW AUTO SERVICES, BRADFORD ON AVON, ENGLAND

My car went In for a simple clutch change and was handed back as a potential lethal death trap after wheel hub nuts were not secured properly causing the front wheels to wobble. The very next day my husband put young children In this car and drove them on the Motorway. Realising something was wrong he drove the car to his regular mechanic at Iron Acton to have the brakes bled. Once up on the ramp and seeing the damage, he refused to allow my husband to drive the car out of his garage as any responsible garage would. He phoned the owner of TW Auto Services who accepted full responsibility and promised to collect the car from Iron Acton the very next morning at 9 am ( Saturday )to put the damage right. He did not... He went back on his promise because he won't work weekends.
The car was finally collected Monday morning but In the time between, we didn't have a clue as to where our car was as no curtesy call was made to let us know that It had been collected safely or not.
In my experience of having a Father who spent his life In the car Industry, we knew the owner should be able to get hold of a new Universal joint ( That had been damaged) by Monday afternoon.... He did not.
I sent an e mail on the Sunday night explaining that our car was our life-line. The cat was Ill and had a Vets appointment In the City Centre the next morning that we had to cancel but we felt we were OK for my husbands appointment for a scan at the Hospital some miles away on wednesday.
As the car was not picked up on the day as promised, 3 nights work were lost which I also explained In my e mail. At no time did we ever recieve an apology of any sort nor, as would be standard In the motor Industry should It be the fault of the garage, any offer of compensation for the loss of earnings.
Yesterday... ( Sunday) I had to chase TW Auto Services again and when I spoke to the owner, I told him the thing that really hacked me off was the lack of contact. He assurred me that a new Universal Joint would be obtained from his suppliers and fitted with the car back to us by tuesday night. We were relieved that my husband would make his hospital appointment as scans can only be booked In every few months and he'd have such a long wait until they could re-set the appointment.
The car was not worked on and by the tuesday late afternoon, and another call, the owner assured us the car would be back the next day In time for my husband to get to the hospital. Wednesday morning came and went and again I had to chase the owner by phoning as no curtesy call yet again. When I finally got to speak to him around noon, he told me he still hadn't got the part. Unknown to him, we had phoned around suppliers In his Immediate area and found the Universal joint In stock and they could have delivered to him. When this was raised, he argued that the suppliers we had spoken to would have charged him around £25 more than his supplier could do It for.
So......... For the sake of £25, this Garage not only handed over a potentially lethal death trap but when given the chance to put It right, for the sake of £25, made a cancer patient lose his hospital appointment, a loss of 3 nights work and untold inconvenience getting to shops and other problems. They took our car for a simple job and left us carless for nearly a week.
All of these problems were explained to the owner and never once did he offer any form of an apology or some kind of compensation for loss of earnings.
If that had been my fathers garage and It was his mistake, he would have been mortified to know that he had caused a cancer patient to miss a vital hospital appointment and he would have payed for a taxi to take the man.
We finally got the car back this evening and again, not one word of apology or an offer for the string of problems he has caused us.

Needless to say, we will stick with what we know and who we know.
MADNOTBAD

Postby shimmy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:01 pm

Get the car back to your normal garage, get to check and make sure EVERYTHING is in original condition.
Just check and see if they did not put the car back together with any more damaged parts.
If they did get pics and get a lawyer...
shimmy
Global Moderator

Postby MADNOTBAD » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:49 am

MADNOTBAD

Return to Shimmy's Things On Wheels