Disney in the red after film flop John Carter

Tunnel into your favourite movies, TV & music!

Disney in the red after film flop John Carter

Postby sledge » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:47 am

Anyone seen the John Carter film yet?

Critically-panned fantasy adventure film John Carter is expected to lose $US200 million for Disney, dragging the studio's whole movie budget into the red.

Disney says it will take the huge operating loss on the movie, made by Oscar-winning director Andrew Stanton about a Civil War veteran transplanted to Mars, in its second fiscal quarter.

"In light of the theatrical performance of John Carter ($US184 million global box office), we expect the film to generate an operating loss of approximately $US200 million during our second fiscal quarter ending March 31," Disney said in a statement.

"As a result, our current expectation is that the studio segment will have an operating loss of between $US80 and $US120 million for the second quarter."

Starring Taylor Kitsch and Willem Dafoe, the movie cost an estimated $US250 million, but was met with a chorus of derision from critics when it was released earlier this month.

Respected Rotten Tomatoes website said: "While John Carter looks terrific and delivers its share of pulpy thrills, it also suffers from uneven pacing and occasionally incomprehensible plotting and characterisation."

It was the first live action movie for Stanton, who won best animated film Oscars for Finding Nemo in 2004 and Wall-E in 2009.

Bugger $200 mIllion flop. :WTF:

Watch the Trailer and Decide.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Re: Disney in the red after film flop John Carter

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:59 am

IMHO, the problem John Carter had was the advertising. I couldn't figure out WTH it was about, other than space aliens of some kind.

The movie had a steep road to climb. It was based on a serialized book written by Edgar Rice Burroughs in 1912, and contains visions of Mars that we know now to be outlandish. In the 21st century, it would be hard for the movie not to be seen as silly on that level alone. What they really needed to do was reimagine it.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby silverpop » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:41 pm

not amazed at this seems the US movie makers have hit rock bottom in trying to make a movie that is at least interesting what is needed is a new approach to movie making,instead they scrape the bottom of the barrel trying to make money and well it bombs
expect the unexpected

15 yrs unoffically

1997-Present
silverpop

Postby sledge » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:58 am

Brian wrote:IMHO, the problem John Carter had was the advertising. I couldn't figure out WTH it was about, other than space aliens of some kind.

The movie had a steep road to climb. It was based on a serialized book written by Edgar Rice Burroughs in 1912, and contains visions of Mars that we know now to be outlandish. In the 21st century, it would be hard for the movie not to be seen as silly on that level alone. What they really needed to do was reimagine it.

After watching the trailer I have to agree with bad advertising and promotion. I for one have never heard of the book this film is supposed to be based on? Some Civil War Soldier fighting Aliens on Mars? I love Sci-Fi but the plot is somewhat strange. :scratch:
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby Brian » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:20 am

sledge wrote:
Brian wrote:IMHO, the problem John Carter had was the advertising. I couldn't figure out WTH it was about, other than space aliens of some kind.

After watching the trailer I have to agree with bad advertising and promotion. I for one have never heard of the book this film is supposed to be based on? Some Civil War Soldier fighting Aliens on Mars? I love Sci-Fi but the plot is somewhat strange. :scratch:

One of the ads I saw for the movie hinted that it was based on older material, so I looked it up. I agree with you that the plot is weird. :)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Return to 24's Media Molehill