The Australian Election 2010 is Over!

Do we speak English?

Moderator: sledge

The Australian Election 2010 is Over!

Postby sledge » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:35 am

Today our current now 'Caretaker' PM Julia Gillard drove to the Governor-General's residence to call an National Election for the next Government in power.We will be going to the polls on Sat August 21st 2010. Prime Minister is the top job on offer. Either Julia or Tony :scratch: who will win? :dontknow:

Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Opposition leader Tony Abbott have signalled the economy, border protection and climate change as the key issues in the lead-up to the August 21 federal election.

Ms Gillard today announced the poll date after flying back to Canberra from her home in Melbourne to meet Governor-General Quentin Bryce.

Both leaders say they expect a tough, hard-fought and close campaign.

They have promised all their election commitments will be fully costed and fully funded.

Both have placed strong emphasis on the economy, climate change and border protection as the key issues of importance as they attempt to convince voters who is best placed to lead the country.

And both are facing an election as leader for the first time, with Ms Gillard just three weeks into her prime ministership when she made the trip to Yarralumla to request a federal election today.

Ms Gillard's key message was hard to miss as she repeatedly stated she wanted to move the country forward.

"We'll move forward together with a sustainable Australia, a stronger economy, budgets in surplus and world-class health and education services and other essential services that hard-working Australians and their families rely on," she said.

But Mr Abbott was quick to attack her pitch as a glib statement to cover up the incompetence of Labor and he said Labor could not be trusted.

"The Prime Minister wants to move forward because the recent past is so littered with her own failures," he said.

His message to voters was simple.

"We'll end the waste, we'll repay the debt, we'll stop the new taxes and we'll stop the boats."

But Mr Abbott seems yet to completely neutralise the industrial relations issue despite saying earlier today that the Coalition's unpopular WorkChoices legislation was not just dead and buried, it was cremated.

In a speech in Brisbane he pledged to leave Labor's Fair Work laws unchanged for three years if the Coalition was elected to government. But Ms Gillard maintained Mr Abbott remained committed to bringing back the "worst aspects" of WorkChoices.

Facing several questions from journalists over his announcement, Mr Abbott said he refused to let the campaign turn into a scare campaign on the topic.

And he predicted that Labor would run a "filthy" campaign in which it would throw the kitchen sink at him.

When asked whether personal attacks would be part of her campaign, Ms Gillard replied: "I expect a robust election campaign. I think that is a good thing."

Both Ms Gillard and Mr Abbott say the campaign will be "tough".

Seeking to distance herself from Kevin Rudd's leadership, Ms Gillard also listed what she saw as her achievements in the few weeks she has been in charge.

She said she had moved on ensuring Australia's population was stable, had resolved the mining tax issue and had begun work on a regional asylum seeker solution.

"I believe in doing those things I've demonstrated to the Australian people the kind of way in which I will lead the nation."

Ms Gillard will be in Brisbane tonight to begin campaigning.

While most of the focus during the campaign will be on the Lower House, the Greens are tipped to take the balance of power in the Senate.

It is also predicted the party has a strong chance of winning the seat of Melbourne in the wake of Lindsay Tanner's retirement.

Leader Bob Brown says he has spoken to both Ms Gillard and Mr Abbott and is ready to work with both.

"We've got a suite of good policies and a good campaign. I think the Greens are offering a fresh and different point of view," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 956648.htm

I will keep you all posted on this thread. Those interested can nominate their prefer Prime Minister of Australia(like a president but we'll not a republic as we'll apart of the Commonwealth of Nations with Queen Elizabeth 2 of England as our head of state.) I hope to be workin as an Election Official in my local voting place on the day which i have been doing for the last 2 elections. :walk:
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Election 2010 Spoof Trailer - GetUp!

Postby sledge » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:42 am

Some Clever video editor has put together a video mashup of our Federal Govt leaders in a new Video Election campaign and its hilarious! Who will win? :lol:

sledge

Tony Abbott(1st Election Speech)

Postby sledge » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:48 am

Tony Abbott declares National Coalition Party(Conservatives) "ready to govern".

sledge

Julia Gillard 1st Election Speech

Postby sledge » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:53 am

Julia Gillard sends Australia to the polls - full speech.

sledge

Abbott denies being sidelined

Postby sledge » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Is Tony Abbott being moved to the side? :roll:

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has denied suggestions he is being "airbrushed" from local campaign material over concerns he is a "turn off" for voters.

News Limited is reporting that some first-time candidates and others including former Liberal leader Malcolm Turnbull are distancing themselves from Mr Abbott by leavinghis image off their campaign material.

But Mr Abbott has told Channel 7 this is not the case.

"All the stuff that is coming out at the moment would have been prepared weeks in advance," he said.

"That's just the way local electoral material works.

"I'm not an egomaniac. I don't expect every Liberal's material to be basically wall to wall photos of Tony Abbott."

Treasury spokesman Joe Hockey has also scoffed at the suggestions.

"He's on TV everyday and paid ads everyday and he's in campaign material in my electorate and everywhere else," he said.

"Gee whiz. If you want to see air brush, Julia Gillard airbrushing the last three years."

While both leaders are expecting a close race in the election campaign Prime Minister Julia Gillard has been polling higher than Mr Abbott has preferred prime minister.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 958703.htm
sledge

Man in red Speedos braves Melbourne chill to confront Abbott

Postby sledge » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:13 am

This incident has created news here some are appalled while others are having a good laugh. Apparently the guy in the red speedos(very slim red swimming costume) is a member of the Australian Labor party. It puts abit of entertainment on the campaign trail. :lol:
Tony Abbott has been accosted by a protester dressed only in red speedos during a walk through the Knox City Centre Shopping Centre in Melbourne's east this afternoon.

As the Opposition Leader met voters, flanked by the candidate for the seat of Aston, Alan Tudge, the young man confronted Mr Abbott, shouting: "Do you like the cut of my Speedos?"

The accoster was quickly bundled away by shopping centre security. Mr Abbott looked amused. He skirted the kerfuffle, saying nothing.

Mr Tudge, who looked less amused than Mr Abbott, said nothing as the mystery man was taken away in a mackintosh coat of the type favoured by flashers.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-electi ... ?feed=html

You can also see the video of the incident on the above site.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott is greeted by a man wearing red speedos during a shopping centre visit in Knox City in Melbourne today :rofl2:
sledge

I will be next PM: Abbott

Postby sledge » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:47 am

Well Noddy Abbott is boosting he will be PM soon. We'll see Noddy! :scratch:

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has ramped up his campaign rhetoric today, confidently declaring that the Coalition will win the next election.

Speaking in Perth at the opening of the electorate office for Ken Wyatt, the Liberal candidate for the marginal seat of Hasluck, Mr Abbott said he believes he will defeat Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

"Yes, I think that there will be a change of government and yes, I think that I will be the next prime minister of Australia," he said.

Before the campaign began, Mr Abbott tried to deny leaked comments from a party room meeting that a "famous victory" was in the Coalition's grasp.

But today he was not mincing his words.

"I can sense there will be a change of government come August 21," he said.

Leaders traditionally avoid declaring victory during a campaign for fear of appearing overconfident and Ms Gillard has repeatedly said the election will be close and hard fought.

Mr Abbott has been campaigning in Western Australia, continuing his attack on Labor's mining tax and unveiling a $93 million boost to border security funding.

"As a result of this additional money, we should get a further 52,000 cargo containers screened; we should get an additional $7.5 million air cargoes screened," he said.

"This is a further demonstration of the Coalition's border security credentials."

Despite his confidence during today's launch, Mr Abbott earlier cautioned Liberal voters about expecting a good result from the 'worm' on Sunday, saying it traditionally did not like Liberal leaders.

"Well, look, the worm certainly doesn't like Liberals. I mean, the worm has a long history of disliking Liberals," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 962738.htm

Noddy for next PM?
sledge

'Psychic' croc predicts Gillard victory

Postby sledge » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:26 am

I guess not any of our members are interested in the Australian politics?.

Here's some lightheart news..

Psychic' croc predicts Gillard victory

An enormous saltwater crocodile named Harry has picked Julia Gillard as the winner of the federal election in a snap poll in Darwin this afternoon.

The 4.9 metre croc was given the choice of munching on one of two chicken carcasses - one tied to an image of the Prime Minister and the other attached to a picture of Opposition Leader Tony Abbott.

In front of a large crowd, the 720 kilogram beast, which last month correctly tipped Spain as the winner of the soccer World Cup, seemed at first disinterested in both options.

But after about five minutes, the croc opened its jaws and crunched down on the meat attached to Ms Gillard.

"He saw the future and I think he might have something going with Paul the octopus," the reptile's handler, Nigel Palmer, said, referring to the octopus that had eight correct tips during the World Cup.

Another crocodile at the enclosure, Bert, picked the winner of the Darwin Cup from a field of 12 horses earlier this month.

For decades, handlers have used the crocodiles to settle a range of issues, from who should do the chores to which lotto numbers to pick. :lol:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 987787.htm

How interesting Psychic Croc picking the winner.. should pick powerball(Lotto) number next? :lol:

And The Winner is..
sledge

Re: The Australian Election 2010 is on!

Postby sledge » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:01 am

As the election is now over here is the summary

A federal election was held on Saturday, 21 August 2010 for members of the 43rd Parliament of Australia. The incumbent centre-left Australian Labor Party led by Prime Minister Julia Gillard defeated the opposition centre-right Liberal/National Coalition led by Opposition Leader Tony Abbott, forming a minority government with the support of an Australian Greens MP and three independent MPs.

Labor and the Coalition each won 72 seats in the 150-seat House of Representatives, four short of the requirement for majority government, resulting in the first hung parliament since the 1940 election. Six crossbenchers hold the balance of power. Greens MP Adam Bandt and independent MPs Andrew Wilkie, Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor declared their support for Labor on confidence and supply, Independent MP Bob Katter and National Party of Western Australia MP Tony Crook declared their support for the Coalition on confidence and supply

The resulting 76–74 margin allowed Labor to form a minority government. On 14 September 2010 Prime Minister Julia Gillard, government ministers and parliamentary secretaries were sworn in by the Governor-General Quentin Bryce in Canberra.

Read More Here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian ... tion,_2010

The New Government
sledge

Return to Down Under Forum