Buckwheat

Grow it, cook it, eat it, drink it.

Moderator: Marie5656

Buckwheat

Postby Linnea » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:11 pm

No, not that little kid on "Little Rascals" or Eddie Murphy playing the little kid on "Little Rascals"... I thought I'd try eating a little healthier lately so I got some buckwheat and quinoa since I've been reading how good they are for you. The quinoa is tasty but I probably need to experiment with seasoning. The buckwheat is FANTASTIC!!! While it was still hot, I put about a tablespoon of butter and a big spoonful of raw honey in and stirred it around. Refrigerate and add a little milk to each bowlful and it makes a really delicious cereal. Both of these make a great replacement for rice or potatoes in a meal as well.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Re: Buckwheat

Postby Marie5656 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:36 pm

On the same order, try bulgar wheat or wheatberries. You can get either in bulk at a health food store...not all that expensive. Actually, of the two, the wheatberries have better flavor. The main way to prep them is to soak them, and then boil them until soft. Do not even need much else except maybe a bit of butter. I have threads on both here somwehere.
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby Linnea » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:22 pm

I read that wheat berries are delicious but I'm trying to stay away from gluten.
Linnea
Contributor

Postby Marie5656 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:28 pm

OK...did not know you were gluten free. I have noticed I am seeing more gluten free stuff on the shelves in the store.
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby Barmaley » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:00 am

Linnea wrote:No, not that little kid on "Little Rascals" or Eddie Murphy playing the little kid on "Little Rascals"... I thought I'd try eating a little healthier lately so I got some buckwheat and quinoa since I've been reading how good they are for you. The quinoa is tasty but I probably need to experiment with seasoning. The buckwheat is FANTASTIC!!! While it was still hot, I put about a tablespoon of butter and a big spoonful of raw honey in and stirred it around. Refrigerate and add a little milk to each bowlful and it makes a really delicious cereal. Both of these make a great replacement for rice or potatoes in a meal as well.

I eat buckwheat all my life (it is typical russian food) but I never use it as sweet serial!
Did you try it with kefir?
Barmaley

Postby Linnea » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:03 am

I had to look it up and I'm not sure I've ever even seen it in the store. It doesn't look very appealing.
Linnea
Contributor

Return to Marie's Kitchen