Has anyone ever frozen fresh fruit?

Grow it, cook it, eat it, drink it.

Moderator: Marie5656

Has anyone ever frozen fresh fruit?

Postby Marie5656 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:08 am

I know all about doing up vegetables for freezing but what about fruits? Has anyone here had any success in freezing fruit? Closest I have ever come is making apple sauce fresh, and freezing that. Would like to do strawberries, raspberries or cherries. Any advice?
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Re: Has anyone ever frozen fresh fruit?

Postby Barmaley » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:25 am

Are you buying the fruits or you have your own garden? It is going to cost you probable more to froze your stuff compare buying it from WalMart it you count cost of electricity for your spacey freezer.
Barmaley

Postby Marie5656 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:10 am

I do not grow any fruit myself, but there are many local growers here. Yes there is time involved, and probably a bit more expense...but I am one of those folks who wants to be more aware of what I am eating, and where it comes from. I also feel that supporting local growers is really important. I'd like to be abl to eat more foods that has not come from thousands of miles away, and gone through outside processing and handling.
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby MADNOTBAD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:13 pm

You can freeze all fruits but the key Is to get the fruit as dry as possible before putting In the freezer. Fleshier fruits need to be dry as they can turn to mush on de-frosting. I have frozen most fruits Including Kiwi's and Melon.
MADNOTBAD

Postby Marie5656 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Thank you mad. Do you do anything else to it first? I am not sure that I will be freezing anything this year...but had been wondering about experimenting with cherries. They are in full bloom here now and not all that expensive.
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby MADNOTBAD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Marie5656 wrote:Thank you mad. Do you do anything else to it first? I am not sure that I will be freezing anything this year...but had been wondering about experimenting with cherries. They are in full bloom here now and not all that expensive.

No... just wash the fruit and make sure It has dried off thoroughly before using either a plastic container or freezer bag. You could cook them prior, allow to cool and then freeze but I find they go a little mushy so It Is best to freeze from raw.
MADNOTBAD

Postby sikander » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:18 am

It would be too cold to swallow .
sikander

Return to Marie's Kitchen