LH, you may be able to answer this one

Grow it, cook it, eat it, drink it.

Moderator: Marie5656

LH, you may be able to answer this one

Postby Marie5656 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:20 pm

But if you cannot, maybe someone else. I would like to start an indoor herb garden. What are the best herbs to grow indoors? I do not have a greenhouse, nor alot of sunlight. Is it pretty much a lost cause for me?
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Re: LH, you may be able to answer this one

Postby spot » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Basil thrives indoors. So does cress for salads, parsley, maybe thyme unless you're lethal to plant life.
Image Pioneer100© Member
spot

Postby Marie5656 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks spot..but what about the fact that I do not have a lot of sunny spots to grow them? I Definatly want to do basil, and oregano. Maybe some mint..just because I like mint. But I seem to remember hearing that mint can really grow fast and out of control if you let it.
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby spot » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Marie5656 wrote:Maybe some mint..just because I like mint. But I seem to remember hearing that mint can really grow fast and out of control if you let it.
It definitely does outdoors, at least everywhere I've lived, but nothing in a kitchen can go berserk if only because its roots would get pot-bound. Mint is not an indoor Triffid.

You might find you need to re-buy a pot now and again but it's a trivial price in exchange for fresh herbs whenever you need them.
Image Pioneer100© Member
spot

Postby Barmaley » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:45 pm

If you do not care that you eat what you grow then go with cactus - there are thousands of them and they all have a character. A lot of fun.
Barmaley

Postby Marie5656 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:14 pm

I have heard that people do eat the meat of a cactus..but I had thought it was more along the line of the ones you find out west, rather than the ones you may buy at your local garden center.
I definatly will be growing something as far as herbs go..just have to decide what.
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby Librtyhead » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:51 am

I have not grown any herbs, L.C. has a ton of them though and she gave me a bunch in a bag. She put a bunch of string in the bag and a few months later I asked what the heck the string was for. She says thats for hanging them you dummy! :oops:
Anyways if I was to grow some I think i would start with rosemary they are hardy do not need a ton of light and are aromatic. You can use the stems for shiskabbab (spelled wrong) in the summer also. I like to take them after they are old, crush them up and make candles with them. This can be also done with old spices that are past dated. Hope this helps you Marie.
I would grow them in the winter in pots on the sill but they need humidity so in the winter dry months it's best to throw a few stones in a dish and add water. The moisture rises up the sides of the plants keeping them healthy. :)
Librtyhead

Postby spot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:07 am

Freezing them makes them crumbly just after they come out of the freezer, too. If you use them soon after freezing they don't lose any of their fresh-taste effect either.
Image Pioneer100© Member
spot

Return to Marie's Kitchen