Thousands of French Nazi collaborators to be exposed

Peering through the mist of time.

Re: Thousands of French Nazi collaborators to be exposed

Postby spot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Brian wrote:On balance, I'd take a poppy-producing regime over a fanatical religious dictatorship.

What aspect of, for example, Saudi Arabian governance falls short of "fanatical religious dictatorship", Brian?
spot

Postby sledge » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:57 pm

spot wrote:
Brian wrote:On balance, I'd take a poppy-producing regime over a fanatical religious dictatorship.

What aspect of, for example, Saudi Arabian governance falls short of "fanatical religious dictatorship", Brian?

Gone off-topic?
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:56 am

spot wrote:

Sorry, Spot. I didn't see this earlier.

I thought we were talking about Afghanistan, weren't we? :scratch: In any case, Saudi Arabia is a theocratic monarchy. Monarchies and dictatorships are similar, but there is a difference (e.g., monarchies tend to have hereditary inheritance of power). So, they're not really the same.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby MADNOTBAD » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:57 pm

spot wrote:I wonder whether the post-occupation Afghan government will ever do the same. Or will the occupiers shred the files before they leave?

When you say 'Post' occupation, are you refering to the US military after the British troops are withdrawn? Are you refering to Allied occupation forces of Afghan or are you just speaking generally?

And what connection do you see In French-Nazi Collaborators to present day Allied forces In Afghan?
MADNOTBAD

Postby MADNOTBAD » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Brian wrote:
spot wrote:I wonder whether the post-occupation Afghan government will ever do the same. Or will the occupiers shred the files before they leave?

That's actually a pretty simple matter, since the Afghans are actually running their own government. If you're not a Taliban, you're collaborating with the government.

The difference between the U.S. and the Germans of the 1940's is we were never fighting to set up Afgansylvania. Occupied France was German land. Even the laws of the Vichy government were only applicable in parts of France not occupied by Germany.

:goodpost:
MADNOTBAD

Postby MADNOTBAD » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:59 pm

spot wrote:
Brian wrote:
spot wrote:I can't see why anyone would feel confident about the nature of the post-occupation Afghan government. Tuesday's written answers to the Senate Armed Services Committee had General Petraeus describing the security situation there as "tenuous" and insurgents as "resilient and still-confident", particularly in the south of the country. They're not going to form a part of the post-occupation government? I wouldn't bet on it.

Ah... Got you... This Is about America again is It not?

What about British occupation?
MADNOTBAD

Postby MADNOTBAD » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:03 pm

spot wrote:I think perhaps Americans in general are totally oblivious to the utter detestation in which their armed forces are held by the majority of Afghans. It's strange. You believed it when the Russians occupied Kabul but you can't bring yourselves to look in the mirror.
And out comes Spot's Anti-Americanism In just 3 posts. What do you think the Afghans think of the British forces then Spot? Or In your tiny mind, Is It just the US that are Invading??????
MADNOTBAD

Previous

Return to 24's History Chamber