The Biggest Attack on New York?

Peering through the mist of time.

The Biggest Attack on New York?

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi, Everyone.

On "America: The Story of Us", they just referred to the British attack on New York during the Revolutionary War as the biggest attack until 9/11. Maybe I'm missing something, but the British occupied New York. They attacked with tens of thousands of men, and hundreds of ships. I'm as passionate as the next guy about 9/11, but isn't calling 9/11 the biggest attack on New York a loss of perspective?
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: The Biggest Attack on New York?

Postby sledge » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:43 am

I think 9/11 would be the most devastating attack ever on Amercian Homeland Soil . Co-ordinated Terrorist Attack in history of the world so far!
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby Brian » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:13 pm

sledge wrote:I think 9/11 would be the most devastating attack ever on Amercian Homeland Soil . Co-ordinated Terrorist Attack in history of the world so far!

I don't know about that, Shimmy. It might technically be the most devastating attack on "U.S." soil, since there wasn't a "United States" yet before we won the Revolutionary War, but I have my doubts about that. The British burned Washington, D.C. in the War of 1812.

I think 9/11 was certainly the most devastating terrorist attack ever, but I think the British actually did a lot more damage.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby sledge » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:09 am

Brian wrote:
sledge wrote:I think 9/11 would be the most devastating attack ever on Amercian Homeland Soil . Co-ordinated Terrorist Attack in history of the world so far!

I don't know about that, Shimmy. It might technically be the most devastating attack on "U.S." soil, since there wasn't a "United States" yet before we won the Revolutionary War, but I have my doubts about that. The British burned Washington, D.C. in the War of 1812.

I think 9/11 was certainly the most devastating terrorist attack ever, but I think the British actually did a lot more damage.

Did the British bring down two big Towers to the ground and fly 2 large planes into them? and also another plane into the Pentagon and even try hitting the white house(which failed). The Whole world witness these arocities.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby Librtyhead » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:29 pm

9/11 was the biggest "terrorist" attack. The British invasion was the biggest...........take the Rolling Stones for example. Bite the big apple.......don't mind the maggots....and other nasty talk, another dig at maggots who get no respect. :WTF:
Librtyhead

Postby Brian » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:04 pm

sledge wrote:
Brian wrote:

Did the British bring down two big Towers to the ground and fly 2 large planes into them? and also another plane into the Pentagon and even try hitting the white house(which failed). The Whole world witness these arocities.

Well, are we talking about the biggest in terms of exposure, or the biggest in terms of the size of the assault? Look at it this way: The British had control of all of Washington, D.C. If there had been a Pentagon at the time, it surely would've been razed. And the White House was, in fact, razed, which the 9/11 terrorists didn't touch.

The fact that the 9/11 attack was the most spectacular (in terms of media exposure) in history is more a product of the media of the day than it is the ferocity of the attack (as awful as it was).

That's not at all to diminish the horror of that day. I just think there's a tendency to lose perspective. It's similar to when people name Hitler as the biggest monster in human history, but forget that in terms of sheer numbers of people killed, Stalin made Hitler look like a lightweight.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Librtyhead » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:16 pm

All funnies aside, make a poll and see the results. Or at least the results of this forum. I would call the English occupation as the biggest.
Sometimes the past is forgotten when it is not seen and heard by the living and the past can be trivialized. WWI and the clouds of mustard gas drifting across fields of molehills and ditches could be forgotten once all who have actually lived it has died. We live in a now enviroment and sometimes people forget that times have been worse than they are now and cry "doomsday is apon us!" when in all actuality things have been much worse in the past and have been forgotten.
Librtyhead

Return to 24's History Chamber