Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Peering through the mist of time.

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Postby sledge » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:40 am

He was a highly decorated officer in World War I, awarded the Pour le Mérite for his exploits on the Italian front. In World War II, he further distinguished himself as the commander of the Ghost Division during the 1940 invasion of France. However, it was his leadership of German and Italian forces in the North African campaign that established the legend of the Desert Fox. He is considered to have been one of the most skilled commanders of desert warfare in the war. He later commanded the German forces opposing the Allied cross-channel invasion in Normandy.

Rommel is regarded as a chivalrous and humane officer because his Afrikakorps was never accused of any war crimes. Soldiers captured during his Africa campaign were reported to have been treated humanely; furthermore, he ignored orders to kill captured commandos, Jewish soldiers and civilians in all theaters of his command.

Late in the war, Rommel was convicted of joining the conspiracy against Adolf Hitler. Because of his great prestige, Hitler allowed him to commit suicide rather than be tried and executed. He was buried with full military honors; the reason for Rommel's death only emerged at the Nuremberg Trials.

More Here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Rommel

I was watching some documentaries on Rommel and came across this good series on the tube. Worth watching if your interested. :hello:
Part 1 of 5
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Re: Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Postby Brian » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:49 am

sledge wrote:He was a highly decorated officer in World War I, awarded the Pour le Mérite for his exploits on the Italian front. In World War II, he further distinguished himself as the commander of the Ghost Division during the 1940 invasion of France. However, it was his leadership of German and Italian forces in the North African campaign that established the legend of the Desert Fox. He is considered to have been one of the most skilled commanders of desert warfare in the war. He later commanded the German forces opposing the Allied cross-channel invasion in Normandy.

Rommel is regarded as a chivalrous and humane officer because his Afrikakorps was never accused of any war crimes. Soldiers captured during his Africa campaign were reported to have been treated humanely; furthermore, he ignored orders to kill captured commandos, Jewish soldiers and civilians in all theaters of his command.

Late in the war, Rommel was convicted of joining the conspiracy against Adolf Hitler. Because of his great prestige, Hitler allowed him to commit suicide rather than be tried and executed. He was buried with full military honors; the reason for Rommel's death only emerged at the Nuremberg Trials.

More Here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Rommel

I was watching some documentaries on Rommel and came across this good series on the tube. Worth watching if your interested. :hello:
Part 1 of 5

That's pretty cool, Sledge! Thanks for posting. :)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Postby sledge » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:33 am

^No Worries Brian. there are plentry of good documentaries on the tube which could also be shared here. I subscribed too many documentary channels.
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Return to 24's History Chamber