Archie is getting a gay friend

Share your talents and obsessions!

Re: Archie is getting a gay friend

Postby Millennium » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:18 pm

"We're not trying to send social messages. We just want to reflect what's going on today. Riverdale's a melting pot."

He added that people who are offended by seeing the Riverdale gang hang around with a gay teen "aren't the kind of people we want reading our comics anyway."

Sounds like two different messages. :dontknow:
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:23 pm

lady cop wrote:
Millennium wrote:
"We're not trying to send social messages. We just want to reflect what's going on today. Riverdale's a melting pot."

He added that people who are offended by seeing the Riverdale gang hang around with a gay teen "aren't the kind of people we want reading our comics anyway."

Sounds like two different messages. :dontknow:

i think he meant he doesn't care if homophobes are offended.

Isn't that in itself a social message?
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Linnea » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:24 pm

This is good news, now maybe Jughead can come out of the closet.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Millennium wrote:
lady cop wrote:i think he meant he doesn't care if homophobes are offended.

Not necessarily. Sending a message would mean doing it in hopes of pissing homophobic people off. If they wanted to do that, they could include frames where the gay character kisses another gay teen, for example. Saying you don't care if someone is offended is different. It just means you're not going to let someone else's social agenda dictate what is or isn't okay to put in your comic.

Besides, using a gay character as a comic centerpiece is hardly breaking new social ground. "Three's Company" did it 30 years ago (although Jack Tripper wasn't actually gay, of course).
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Brian wrote:
Millennium wrote:

Not necessarily. Sending a message would mean doing it in hopes of pissing homophobic people off. If they wanted to do that, they could include frames where the gay character kisses another gay teen, for example. Saying you don't care if someone is offended is different. It just means you're not going to let someone else's social agenda dictate what is or isn't okay to put in your comic.

Besides, using a gay character as a comic centerpiece is hardly breaking new social ground. "Three's Company" did it 30 years ago (although Jack Tripper wasn't actually gay, of course).

But I don't remember them telling everyone they didn't want people that don't like gays watching the show...
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Millennium » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:01 pm

lady cop wrote:they can come out of closet now too... :rofl2:

I KNEW IT!

:rofl2:
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:14 pm

Millennium wrote:
Brian wrote:
Millennium wrote:

But I don't remember them telling everyone they didn't want people that don't like gays watching the show...

I doubt anyone who was that offended by gays would've watched more than one episode. It would be inexplicable to me if such a person would need to be told. I think that's a key difference here: Archie's Comics is introducing a gay character after almost 70 years in existence. "Three's Company" had homosexuality (or, at least the acceptance of the idea of homosexuality) running through its entire (much shorter) history.

It sounds to me like the writers are saying, "If someone wants to dump the comic after so many years over this one subplot, let them." That's different than using the character to send a social message.

Ultimately, all art is some form of social commentary, so in that sense they might be sending a message, insofar as they're having them hang out with the gay character, rather than shun him. But it's certainly not advocacy in any positive sense. They're not (from what I can tell, anyway) having the gay character involved in an open-mouthed kiss with Jughead.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Brian wrote:
Millennium wrote:
Brian wrote:
Millennium wrote:

I doubt anyone who was that offended by gays would've watched more than one episode. It would be inexplicable to me if such a person would need to be told. I think that's a key difference here: Archie's Comics is introducing a gay character after almost 70 years in existence. "Three's Company" had homosexuality (or, at least the acceptance of the idea of homosexuality) running through its entire (much shorter) history.

It sounds to me like the writers are saying, "If someone wants to dump the comic after so many years over this one subplot, let them." That's different than using the character to send a social message.

Ultimately, all art is some form of social commentary, so in that sense they might be sending a message, insofar as they're having them hang out with the gay character, rather than shun him. But it's certainly not advocacy in any positive sense. They're not (from what I can tell, anyway) having the gay character involved in an open-mouthed kiss with Jughead.

Somehow we have gotten off on a tangent...

If I say I want to put out a magazine that has a gay teen in it, and then say I don't want to make it a social comment though, and then go on to announce that people who aren't comfortable with it, aren't the type people I want reading it, then I have just made a social commentary.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby Linnea » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:58 pm

I see it as accepting the higher profile gays have in our society, even at high school level, and integrating that into their story line. To deny this fact is right up there with refusing to teach sex ed, hoping if your kid is ignorant, they won't engage in sex.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:02 pm

Millennium wrote:If I say I want to put out a magazine that has a gay teen in it, and then say I don't want to make it a social comment though, and then go on to announce that people who aren't comfortable with it, aren't the type people I want reading it, then I have just made a social commentary.

I think we're talking about two different things, Mill.

The writers aren't making a social commentary in the comic. Certainly, if you say, "I don't care if these kinds of people read the comic", that's a social commentary.

Bascially the message is, "We weren't trying to offend anyone, but we don't give a shit if you're offended."

Brian
Site Admin

Return to Librtyhead's Hobbies & Collectibles