banknote and coin collecting

Share your talents and obsessions!

banknote and coin collecting

Postby silverpop » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:22 pm

banknote and coin collecting has many pit falls , fakes, people who basicly are there to scam others and other issues, but overall many collectors are just common people who like collecting not for profit but for the thrill of the hunt,many think banknote and coin collecting will make them money it will but it depends on what people are willing to pay for your items

then the US mint and their many flops have not helped much in the way of getting people into coins and notes, oddly enough many of their flops have become interesting to a select few

i've been collecting since 1992 and my collection is not all that impressive but i'm what is a called a common collector who cares little for profit and does this for fun, to me finding a minor die crack coin in change is a good thing, but to many they would overlook it cause it wasn't a major die crack

sometimes you buy a coin or a note and think you lost money on it then you check sometime later and find out that coin or note is worth a lot more then you hoped i have had this happen to me sometimes just a lesson in what to expect

the common person on the street will have little idea of what coin and banknote collecting is about, to them it's not their issue
but then they read stories of huge hords of coins found or a rare note then they take a another look at coin and note collectors

as for pretty our coins and notes are anything but that basic designs that aren't very pretty or even interesting, our paper money looks so odd it's funny like they were thought up on a monday when workers were comming off the weekend

then the US mint is trying the bullion coin which is good but they have overdone it , what is needed to get people interested in coins and note again make the coins and note look pretty and interesting, and this honoring people on coins is getting out of hand, now the mint has come out with some good bullion but most is seen as bullion crap by collectors

the old saying you never know what you can find if you don't look first comes to mind when in this hobby

grading compines are many but the best known one is PCGS they have a forum they run where collectors can get together and chat which is cool cause you can learn things from others

my wife just shugs her shoulders and looks at me funny when i search my change but she understands that i'm a collector and always on the look out for coins or bills that get my notice

overall being a collector is a interesting idea that may not appeal to many but to some it does
expect the unexpected

15 yrs unoffically

1997-Present
silverpop

Re: banknote and coin collecting

Postby Brian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 pm

I've loved my time as a coin collector. :)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Millennium » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:27 pm

I started in 1963......back when you could pull silver from change, a buffalo nickel was still found in change occasionally, when Indian head cents could be gotten in change, wheat cents were common...you could buy silver dollars at the bank...for a dollar each...I miss those days. :crybaby2:
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby silverpop » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:37 pm

well times change and so does the hobby, now a risky endevor is buying and selling online cause either way you are taking a chance of getting burned, but if you know how to avoid the pitfalls of the hobby you will be ok

coin shops are a good low risk way to sell and buy coins

online auction houses and other sites they are a nice way to sell and buy, but remember be careful there are scammers out there

and there are many stories of collectors getting ripped off by these scum

so be careful and enjoy the hobby
expect the unexpected

15 yrs unoffically

1997-Present
silverpop

Postby Millennium » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:05 pm

I have been on Ebay since 1996, and have had over 1000 transactions.......I have never been burned on a coin deal, if you look at the feedback numbers and feedback left, you can make good decisions. I have bought and sold thru the auction houses like Heritage, Stacks and the other main companies, and you can get burned there too, so that isn't cut and dried advice....The BIGGEST places I have been ripped is at a coin shop...they often overcharge on what they want to sell, and ALWAYS try to low ball you when you want to sell to them....it's a business, and I understand why they do it. The best way to get top dollar for your coins and currency? I always gravitate back to ebay...the market drives it and the middle man is not involved.
Save America, IMPEACH OBAMA! And continue tossing out the deadbeat Democrats that are currently in office.
Millennium
Contributor

Postby silverpop » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:35 pm

well as i said there are pitfalls involved in this hobby, but knowing what to look for and avoid will go a long way in making sure you aren't the next victim, i have never been scammed or taken for a ride cause i'm very careful, i do research, ask a lot of questions if needed, and ask for advice from others, i use whatever i have at that time to make the best choice

but then you get some who common sense left them and they get scammed or burned on a deal, then despite the poor judgement skills they showed they want someone to pity them, i mean come on if something seems too good to be true it usually is and common sense would say run

but as i said there are scammers all over the place just waiting to hook a sucker but being careful will most likely help you avoid that
expect the unexpected

15 yrs unoffically

1997-Present
silverpop

Return to Librtyhead's Hobbies & Collectibles