favorite books?

Stories, poems, lyrics, articles & reviews.

Re: favorite books?

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Picked up "This Perfect Day". :)
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Saint » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Sooooo.....did you like it, Brian? Kind of makes you think about a "Computer Utopia" huh? Actually, in a way, I found the ending a bit sad because, hey, all of mankind was happy pretty much. and certainly more productive! I'm not sure that blowing up Uni was such a good idea. (If Ira Levin hadn't thrown in the part about Wei and his little council of dictators, I be even more against it.)
Saint

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Saint wrote:Sooooo.....did you like it, Brian? Kind of makes you think about a "Computer Utopia" huh? Actually, in a way, I found the ending a bit sad because, hey, all of mankind was happy pretty much. and certainly more productive! I'm not sure that blowing up Uni was such a good idea. (If Ira Levin hadn't thrown in the part about Wei and his little council of dictators, I be even more against it.)

I actually haven't finished it yet. :bigsmile:
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby sledge » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:04 am

One of my fave all time Classic Books has to be 'The time Machine' by HG Welles(father of Sci-Fi) I have read the book twice ,seen the George Pal Film (1960) numerous times.

Summary:This book is an intriguing account of time traveling, probably the first of its kinds amongst the science fictions. The book’s protagonist, referred to as The Time Traveller, by the author is a scientist by profession. The book begins with the narrator’s interaction with his dinner guests. The protagonist insists on the existence of the fourth dimension, namely space and he demonstrates a model machine for traveling through it. Despite utter disbelief of his guests, the protagonist sincerely believes time traveling is a fact that cannot be done away with. He reveals to his guests that he has made a machine by which time traveling can be made possible. By the next week, the narrator joins his guests again, only to reveal astonishing, yet magnificent; experiences which he had while time traveling. This novel makes for an interesting read with the detailed and gripping descriptions of the narrator while traveling through time

[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby Saint » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Totally great book. I have an entire classroom set in my room. The kids love it year in and year out.
Saint

Previous

Return to 24's Library