Wolf Hall

Stories, poems, lyrics, articles & reviews.

Re: Wolf Hall

Postby Linnea » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Henry VIII's challenge to the church's power with his desire to divorce his queen and marry Anne Boleyn set off a tidal wave of religious, political and societal turmoil that reverberated throughout 16th-century Europe. Mantel boldly attempts to capture the sweeping internecine machinations of the times from the perspective of Thomas Cromwell, the lowborn man who became one of Henry's closest advisers. Cromwell's actual beginnings are historically ambiguous, and Mantel admirably fills in the blanks, portraying Cromwell as an oft-beaten son who fled his father's home, fought for the French, studied law and was fluent in French, Latin and Italian. Mixing fiction with fact, Mantel captures the atmosphere of the times and brings to life the important players: Henry VIII; his wife, Katherine of Aragon; the bewitching Boleyn sisters; and the difficult Thomas More, who opposes the king. Unfortunately, Mantel also includes a distracting abundance of dizzying detail and Henry's all too voluminous political defeats and triumphs, which overshadows the more winning story of Cromwell and his influence on the events that led to the creation of the Church of England.

The only history I enjoy from that time period is Queenie from Blackadder. :P
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby Merry Maiden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Good Luck reading that one lol I was forced to read it last term, I can safely say none of us in the seminar group liked it. It was also the only book I never actually finished, just found it really hard to read and follow. Let me know how you do, meanwhile I'll go back to Bleak House :toast:
Merry Maiden

Postby Merry Maiden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:31 pm

lady cop wrote:
Merry Maiden wrote:Good Luck reading that one lol I was forced to read it last term, I can safely say none of us in the seminar group liked it. It was also the only book I never actually finished, just found it really hard to read and follow. Let me know how you do, meanwhile I'll go back to Bleak House :toast:

I loved Bleak House as you know..was it really not worth getting? i can cancel it. was it boring? :study: :sleepy:

I feel awful now, but yes I found it hard work, I hardly made it 100 pages in, kept falling asleep!

Bleak House was a whole other ball game, 1000 pages that flew by, I even cried when the crossing sweeper boy died lol I wrote my best essay of the two years on that book too!
Merry Maiden

Postby Merry Maiden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:51 pm

lady cop wrote:no need to feel awful MM...i am interested in your opinion. i'll still get it and read it and let you know what i think of it. some find it hard to read Dickens, but you and i do, so we can wade through anything! haha

True, I've read some dire stuff over the last two years, forced reading too, so it was a delight to thoroughly enjoy Dickens.

Others I've enjoyed have been Conrad's Heart of Darkness, Delillo's White Noise, Lawrence's Short Stories, we didn't even get to do Lady Chatterly!, Wilde's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

I even read The Great Gatsby out of choice last week, seems now that my term is over I feel lost without a book in my hand, oh my I have turned into a boffin :study: :lol:
Last edited by Merry Maiden on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Merry Maiden

Postby Merry Maiden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:56 pm

lady cop wrote:don't feel badly...i used to be a (law) librarian! now there was some boring reading to plod through!

oooh yes, I did law at college, some of it was great, some of it was a wordy nightmare :o
Merry Maiden

Return to 24's Library