So you want a home defense gun?

Discuss firearms and Second Amendment issues.

Moderator: Boba

Re: So you want a home defense gun?

Postby Brian » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:47 pm

I personally wouldn't want a gun for self-defense, I think. I can't imagine that I'd be anything approaching a good shot, and if you pull a gun on someone and miss, you're in a lot more trouble than if you didn't pull it in the first place, aren't you?
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:20 pm

That is why, first you get the training. It isn't too expensive. Then next you get a gun with plenty of shots, that you, are comfortable with shooting. Using home defense ammo, you don't have to worry about killing people on the other side of a wall. Just keep aiming and shooting as best as you can until the intruder is down or you are out of ammo, then run, get to better cover, and reload if possible, then shoot again!
If you are in England, keep a good sword handy. If you are in Australia, keep sharpened sticks and baseball bats handy! I feel sorry for you.
Before every action and decision think of the consequences 7 generations into the future....Ute Rule of Life
Quicksilver

Postby Brian » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Quicksilver wrote:That is why, first you get the training. It isn't too expensive. Then next you get a gun with plenty of shots, that you, are comfortable with shooting. Using home defense ammo, you don't have to worry about killing people on the other side of a wall. Just keep aiming and shooting as best as you can until the intruder is down or you are out of ammo, then run, get to better cover, and reload if possible, then shoot again!
If you are in England, keep a good sword handy. If you are in Australia, keep sharpened sticks and baseball bats handy! I feel sorry for you.

I don't think it'd be a matter of training with me (although I might be wrong). I have no depth perception, and see with one eye at a time (e.g. without binocular vision) so aiming at anything would almost certainly fail unless a) it was a pretty big target, or b) I could somehow compensate and still figure out where the bullet's going to go when I point the gun. Judging on my ability to aim for a basketball hoop or a set of pins, you're almost certainly safer being where I'm trying to aim than being anywhere to either side. ;)

Now, if the guy doesn't actually have a gun, just pulling one out might be enough to scare him off.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Boba » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Brian wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:That is why, first you get the training. It isn't too expensive. Then next you get a gun with plenty of shots, that you, are comfortable with shooting. Using home defense ammo, you don't have to worry about killing people on the other side of a wall. Just keep aiming and shooting as best as you can until the intruder is down or you are out of ammo, then run, get to better cover, and reload if possible, then shoot again!

I don't think it'd be a matter of training with me (although I might be wrong). I have no depth perception, and see with one eye at a time (e.g. without binocular vision) so aiming at anything would almost certainly fail unless a) it was a pretty big target, or b) I could somehow compensate and still figure out where the bullet's going to go when I point the gun. Judging on my ability to aim for a basketball hoop or a set of pins, you're almost certainly safer being where I'm trying to aim than being anywhere to either side. ;)

Now, if the guy doesn't actually have a gun, just pulling one out might be enough to scare him off.

Brian, I am in the same boat. It's called amblyopia. I have it too. You might be suprised to find that it has little to nothing to do with your ability to aim. The only problem I have is trap shooting when the birds are coming out of the left house. It is my left eye that is hosed, so I don't pick up the clays until they are right in front of me. Thats why I like trap shooting better. It is not a big deal and should not preclude you from shooting. Also, we have several disabled people at our club. Some are great shots. It actually is an advantage since you have more stable platform.
Boba
Contributor

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:30 am

I just got a Taurus Judge Defender and put it next to my Para 45 ACP. I loaded it with #4 shot 410 shotgun shells for home defense, close range, can't miss. It can also be concealed carry. :guitar1:
Before every action and decision think of the consequences 7 generations into the future....Ute Rule of Life
Quicksilver

Postby sledge » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:55 am

I see some Americans like their guns! That;s why America has alot of shootings and nuts going on rampage and mowing down people when they get pissed off! Only Authorised Law Enforcement officers should be carrying guns not citizens.

Seen too many documentaries and news stories of people with guns in USA and some shooting others for no apparent reason.

I saw an episode of these 'Guys who go around to re-possess items that people have debunk on(Not paying anything any more). They had a legal paper work to re-posses this guys car and the owner says one minute goes inside his garage and comes out firing a semi auto pistol so these re-posses guys run for their lives , this guy puts 3 shots into the car and then shoots the tyres of the re-possess guys car. :WTF:

Obviously he was pissed off!
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
sledge

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:17 pm

What a bunch of Nazi/Communist/ Liberal hogwash!!!!!!
There are over 80 million gun owners in the USA, and all except a small handful are NOT rampaging nutcases.
I've got my concealed carry training and permit, and am also a decorated veteran---decorated for valor in unarmed combat helicopter medical rescues. I was, however, the highest scorer in rifles in my basic training battalion (~1,100 guys).
One thing about depending on the police is their inherent lag time. Also, criminals and kill culters don't care about laws against gun ownership. They want to rob or kill you, and you are just going to let them?
We shouldn't have helped you in WWII, then at least you wouldn't be being taken over by kill culters, even though you would be speaking German. :angelbn:
Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Finally actually got a good holster for CC for the Judge Defender, and went out and shot targets with it. The #4 and #6 shot are useless for stopping power, I kept the 45 LC bullets 5 in the small kill zone with left hand and 4 with right. The best load was the 000 Buck, 4-40cal. pellet loads. Devastating, and no misses with either hand, close and further away. So I bought more of them, and a new home defense load with 3 (40x30cal.)discs and 12 BBs(.177 cal.). More no miss at close and moderate range stuff, either hand. I must repeat----devastating!!! I love it!!!
Those who have had their right to bear arms taken away by their government, should try to change those laws so they aren't defenseless against the outlaw heathens.
Like we say here in America; when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
:rockon: :angel: :guitar1: :salute: :mrgreen:
Quicksilver

Postby foxglovepress » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:43 pm

I like a shotgun for "in home" defense. You won't be taking out your neighbors if you have to use it! I like a KelTec 9MM for personal safety in my jeans, and a .38 revolver for backup and no jamming!! If I'm on the road and might be way out.....the the AR15 Is my favorite. LOVE that gun. I have a question.....What do you think of the M4, Quicksilver? I'm asking you because you appear to be the one who might know......
Justice for Mark....ship the illegals out!
foxglovepress

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:49 pm

I've never shot or held an M4, foxglove. I saw them demonstrated on the Military Channel and they look like an AR15 hybrid. :guitar1:
Quicksilver

PreviousNext

Return to Boba's Keep And Bear Arms