New Hosting Company

Communicate with Management.

Moderator: Brian

New Hosting Company

Postby Brian » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:36 am

Hi, Everyone.

Overnight, I switched hosting companies. We're now going with DreamHost as our hosting company. This should lead to a more reliable experience for everyone (no more SQL errors, for one thing...).

A day or two's worth of postings may have been lost, but other than that, you should see no impact. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Brian
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Re: New Hosting Company

Postby shimmy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:48 pm

So far working GREAT, Faster and no more stupid errors...

:woo: :woo:

Good Move Brian... :walk:
shimmy
Global Moderator

Postby Brian » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks, Shimmy. :)

I think a big difference here is that Dreamhost (which we're using now) uses MySQL 5, whereas the old company uses MySQL 4. Also, Dreamhost has much better technical support. I can (usually) go online and chat with a customer support person, whereas I would have to send an e-mail through the old host's system, and wait for someone to get back to me. (And more often than not, the answer, as it was last time, was "Oh, we can guarantee that doesn't happen again, if you upgrade..."). :angryfire:

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:51 pm

lady cop wrote:probably not the right thread..but how long do members have to edit their posts before they are engraved in stone for all eternity?

There isn't a time limit for how long someone can take to edit his/her own posts. (At least, there's not according to the board settings).

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:59 pm

I've now changed the editing limit to 15 minutes.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby 2bits » Sun May 02, 2010 9:18 am

Brian wrote:I've now changed the editing limit to 15 minutes.

why? what difference does it make if they want to edit their posts 3 hours from when they are made.

this post editing time limit stuff is stupid and childish!
Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country.

John Adams
2bits

Postby 24HourNut » Sun May 02, 2010 9:32 am

2bits wrote:

why? what difference does it make if they want to edit their posts 3 hours from when they are made.

Because some people will edit old posts and throw subsequent posts off track. In other words, it is easy for someone to change the meaning of their post and then make all the subsequent posts that were made with a certain understand or a certain post content in mind seem off.

There is no real need to change a post after 15 minutes. If it is that important, make a new post or thread. Otherwise, it is a good safeguard to preserve thread integrity when you prevent people, like those who like to be wise guys or idiots, from changing their posts after the fact.

What I find childish is the desire to change the post way after you've made it. I like to hold people accountable for what they wrote when they wrote it. I also like the idea of if you look up and older post you can feel assured that is what they actually wrote. Otherwise, you never really know if it is the original post of not.
24HourNut
Contributor

Postby 2bits » Sun May 02, 2010 9:36 am

I post pictures and content that I may not want to leave for eternity in a post.

My coin pictures for example, I like to retain ownership of them limiting my access to them is verboten.

the real secret to keeping the smart asses from being able to change something much later is a an edit stamp.
Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country.

John Adams
2bits

Postby Brian » Sun May 02, 2010 12:37 pm

2bits wrote:I post pictures and content that I may not want to leave for eternity in a post.

My coin pictures for example, I like to retain ownership of them limiting my access to them is verboten.

the real secret to keeping the smart asses from being able to change something much later is a an edit stamp.

Hi, 2bits.

If you don't want to leave a post up, you can delete it (or ask me to delete it, if you don't have the rights). An edit stamp shows you that content has been changed, but not what has been changed. But if it's simply a matter of deleting a post, that doesn't require an edit.

Brian
Site Admin

Postby Linnea » Sun May 02, 2010 2:28 pm

2bits wrote:

Do you ever post anything besides complaints?
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Next

Return to 24's Headquarters