Question for you mods

Communicate with Management.

Moderator: Brian

Re: Question for you mods

Postby sledge » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:45 am

spot wrote:
Linnea wrote:I'd like to hear how the other mods feel about thread drift. When do you step in to correct it, if you do?


I'd be interested in reading such replies too, but I'd note that the question raised (as to whether Torchwood is science fiction or just a random tale which amuses people) is entirely on topic. The participants in the thread were briefly deciding where they, themselves, set the boundaries of science fiction, at which point perhaps we'll we better placed in deciding on Torchwood itself. How can any of the current content be regarded as off topic in the first place?


Ok Spot in regards to Torchwood thread. The Heading is 'Fourth Series of Torchwood' so what has the Liberation of the Earth got to do with 4th Series of Torchwood. Now if the Topic heading was 'An discussion about other related Sci-Fi in Torchwood' then your post would be on topic. Its better in my opinion to lock a thread if posts are going off-topic or else i may start deleting posts which I rather not do as members will get pissed with me. I agree with Brian just PM me first before making a song and dance here.

I really would like you to post some great Sci-Fi Discussions on the Sci-Fi Forum as with other members are welcome. :thumbleft:
Image
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
User avatar
sledge
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:18 am

Re: Question for you mods

Postby Cynicalninja » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:57 am

When modding I don't really mind if a thread goes off topic as long as it doesn't descend into personal slanging matches between members.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
User avatar
Cynicalninja
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 am
Location: England's green and pleasant land.

Re: Question for you mods

Postby Brian » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Going a little off-topic is natural. I can remember some religion discussions on the "old" 24 that went so far afield that people had a hard time remembering what the original debate was about. But I think the mod is within his/her rights to pull people back to the original topic if the thread starts meandering pointlessly. Clearly, if the topic of a thread is "The Sopranos", and someone chimes in with, "I really like the Godfather movies!", that's off-topic. They may be related thematically, but they're not the same.

What to actually do about an off-topic thread is up to the mods. As I've said, I tend to only close things down when they start to get acrimonious, but that's just me.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Question for you mods

Postby Linnea » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:22 pm

Brian wrote:Going a little off-topic is natural. I can remember some religion discussions on the "old" 24 that went so far afield that people had a hard time remembering what the original debate was about. But I think the mod is within his/her rights to pull people back to the original topic if the thread starts meandering pointlessly. Clearly, if the topic of a thread is "The Sopranos", and someone chimes in with, "I really like the Godfather movies!", that's off-topic. They may be related thematically, but they're not the same.

What to actually do about an off-topic thread is up to the mods. As I've said, I tend to only close things down when they start to get acrimonious, but that's just me.


That's where we disagree... any Mafia themed movie would be a perfect addition to a thread like that. Much like the thread I started about "Moon" is now discussing "Surrogates". But that's just a matter of personal interpretation, I guess.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
User avatar
Linnea
Contributor
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:24 am

Re: Question for you mods

Postby Brian » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Linnea wrote:
Brian wrote:Going a little off-topic is natural. I can remember some religion discussions on the "old" 24 that went so far afield that people had a hard time remembering what the original debate was about. But I think the mod is within his/her rights to pull people back to the original topic if the thread starts meandering pointlessly. Clearly, if the topic of a thread is "The Sopranos", and someone chimes in with, "I really like the Godfather movies!", that's off-topic. They may be related thematically, but they're not the same.

What to actually do about an off-topic thread is up to the mods. As I've said, I tend to only close things down when they start to get acrimonious, but that's just me.


That's where we disagree... any Mafia themed movie would be a perfect addition to a thread like that. Much like the thread I started about "Moon" is now discussing "Surrogates". But that's just a matter of personal interpretation, I guess.


I see what you're saying. My interpretation of the same thread was that the topic was science fiction movies more generally. Ultimately, the decision on what's off-topic is up to the mod. What I would ask of all mods is, if you're going to lock a topic, please post at the end of the topic that you're locking it, and why.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
User avatar
Brian
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Question for you mods

Postby sledge » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:51 am

Linnea wrote:That's where we disagree... any Mafia themed movie would be a perfect addition to a thread like that. Much like the thread I started about "Moon" is now discussing "Surrogates". But that's just a matter of personal interpretation, I guess.


I just had alook at the above thread and yes it has gone off-topic but your topic heading was 'If you like Pure Science -Fiction which you mentioned the film 'Moon' then u replied to your own message saying 'They're more science fictiony than a man flying through space and time in a police box. '. My understanding is your refering to other science-fiction then just the film 'Moon'(which looks quite good). So in this instance i think what has been posted on this thread is fine and not really off-topic. :thumbleft:
Image
[b]DOCTOR WHO 5OTH ANNIVERSARY 1963 - 2013[/b]
User avatar
sledge
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:18 am

Re: Question for you mods

Postby Cynicalninja » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:11 pm

I generally view forums like conversations, so if the subject goes off topic it doesn' really bother me that much, when people start berating each other though I lose interest, regardless of what people might think of me I never go out seeking confrontation and arguments.
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
User avatar
Cynicalninja
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 am
Location: England's green and pleasant land.

Re: Question for you mods

Postby 24HourNut » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:29 am

Cynicalninja wrote:I never go out seeking confrontation and arguments.


:rofl2:
User avatar
24HourNut
Contributor
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Re: Question for you mods

Postby Boba » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:51 am

24HourNut wrote:
Cynicalninja wrote:I never go out seeking confrontation and arguments.


:rofl2:

I wonder if he typed that with a straight face? :rofl2:
User avatar
Boba
Contributor
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Question for you mods

Postby Cynicalninja » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:45 am

Anyone that actually knows me and deals in reality knows for a fact I am a counter puncher, I NEVER start arguments or confrontations but I reserve the right to speak as I am spoken too and we all know how crabby and obnoxious certain members can be don't we?
Space to let for non-antagonistic signature.
User avatar
Cynicalninja
 
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:35 am
Location: England's green and pleasant land.

PreviousNext

Return to 24's Headquarters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron