Question for you mods

Communicate with Management.

Moderator: Brian

Re: Question for you mods

Postby spot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:43 am

Linnea wrote:I'd like to hear how the other mods feel about thread drift. When do you step in to correct it, if you do?

I'd be interested in reading such replies too, but I'd note that the question raised (as to whether Torchwood is science fiction or just a random tale which amuses people) is entirely on topic. The participants in the thread were briefly deciding where they, themselves, set the boundaries of science fiction, at which point perhaps we'll we better placed in deciding on Torchwood itself. How can any of the current content be regarded as off topic in the first place?
spot

Postby Linnea » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:54 am

Off the top of my head, the only thread drift that really bothers me is when two people are having a heated discussion and the luvvies start swarming in with photos of baby bunny rabbits, etc apparently thinking the combatants will then magically forget their argument. That usually just aggravates me even more if I'm one of the people involved.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby spot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:01 am

Linnea wrote:Off the top of my head, the only thread drift that really bothers me is when two people are having a heated discussion and the luvvies start swarming in with photos of baby bunny rabbits, etc

Is that a euphemism for photochopped Burger King snaps, out of interest?
spot

Postby Linnea » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:06 am

I don't believe I've ever mentioned your resemblance to a rabbit.
Support mental health care... or I'll kill you.Image
Linnea
Contributor

Postby spot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:11 am

spot hastily expunges the last couple of posts from the record for fear of this thread getting shut down too before it reaches a conclusion
spot

Postby Marie5656 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:03 am

Linnea wrote:I'd like to hear how the other mods feel about thread drift. When do you step in to correct it, if you do?

For me, I think it depends on har far off topic it drifts. I had a burger thread segue into a discussion of Oysters. :dontknow: I may gently steer it back on topic. In a food forum, there is usually not an issue of people being rude or anything..but I have, on rare occasion, deleted an individual post because I felt the poster was rude....but not for being OT. I have started new threads based on where the OT posts lead.
Marie5656
Global Moderator

Postby Librtyhead » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:54 am

That only happened once.........once. :oops:
Librtyhead

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:33 pm

spot wrote:
sledge wrote:If people want to discuss/post more about Torchwood then i will re-open the thread. There is nothing wrong with your posts Spot and Linnea just start a new topic for 'The Liberation of Earth' . :thumbleft:

Tell me, do you not have the moderator option to split a thread in such circumstances, rather than introducing a discontinuity in discussion?

Hi, Spot.

I can tell you that the software has the capability. I know that I personally can split a thread, if the need arises. I believe all mods should have that option, but frankly, the software's a little wonky. There have been times when I've given people moderator status, only to find out later they didn't yet have all the moderator powers.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:41 pm

As for the question of locking threads:

As everyone who's been here a while knows, I'm not averse to locking threads. I've done it myself. If a mod feels that a thread is getting out of hand in some way (e.g., veering way off topic, and efforts to restrain it have been futile, or degenerating into name-calling) then it seems prudent to me to lock the thread, to snap all parties concerned back to their senses.

It's also useful to lock threads to use them as examples of various things (e.g., how to solve a problem, create a post a certain way, or as an example of what not to do if you want to stay on my good side. :sneaky: ).

If someone (either I or a mod) locks a thread, and you don't know why, or don't agree with it being locked, let the person who locked it know in PM. Sometimes these things are just simple misunderstandings or differences of interpretation.
"I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower
Makes you talk a little lower
About the things you could not show her."

-- Counting Crows, "A Long December"
Brian
Site Admin

Postby 24HourNut » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:20 pm

spot wrote:
24HourNut wrote:I hope he locked it just to annoy you people. :sneaky:

Go Sledge!

Not everyone shares your quirky moderator technique, Frank.

As long as some of them share my love for garlic, who the hell cares.
24HourNut
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to 24's Headquarters